Two men questioned in cash-for-honour inquiry linked to King Charles’ charity | King Charles III

Written by

Two men have been questioned under caution by officers investigating allegations of money-for-honor allegations linked to King Charles III’s charity, the Prince’s Foundation.

In a brief statement says Metropolitan Police confirmed that on September 6 officers interviewed a man in his 50s and a man in his 40s under caution for offenses under the Honors (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925.

The force launched the investigation in February after the media reported on alleged offers of help to secure honor and citizenship for a Saudi national.

In September last year, the Sunday Times published claims that the billionaire Mahfouz Marei Mubarak bin Mahfouz paid tens of thousands of pounds to fixers with links to Charles who had told him they could secure the credit.

Bin Mahfouz was awarded a CBE at a private ceremony at Buckingham Palace in November 2016.

When the allegations emerged, the Prince’s Foundation launched an internal investigation, which in turn led to one of Charles’ former closest aides, Michael Fawcett, 59, temporarily stepping down as the foundation’s chief executive.

On Friday, the Met issued a brief statement to The Guardian, which said: “On Tuesday 6 September, police interviewed a man in his 50s and a man in his 40s under caution in relation to offenses under the Honors (Prevention of Abuse) Act 1925.”

The Met previously said it had received a letter last September regarding media reports and, after further investigation, launched an investigation into allegations of offenses under the Honors (Prevention of Abuses) Act 1925.

Bin Mahfouz has been one of the biggest donors to Charles’ charities and even has a forest named after him, Mahfouz Wood, at the 15th-century Castle of Mey, formerly the home of the Queen Mother and now one of Charles’s Scottish residences .

The donations of more than £1.5m. helped fund renovations to homes used by Charles and other charitable ventures. The Prince’s Foundation publicly lists Mahfouz as a patron.

The Met said officers had been in contact with the Prince’s Foundation about the findings of the independent investigation into fundraising practices.

About the author

Leave a Comment