Queensland Police: Couple charged over death of five-week-old boy

Written by

A Queensland mother and her on-again, off-again partner have been charged with the murder of her five-month-old son, who was allegedly shaken by the man.

Robert Alan Gee, 44, and 36-year-old Kristie Lee Willmott are charged in the June 14, 2021, death of her newborn son Michael Willmott.

WATCH THE VIDEO: Man and woman charged with the death of a newborn child in 2021.

Watch the latest news and stream for free on 7 plus >>

“The child has succumbed to some significant head trauma … consistent with a shocking event,” police prosecutor Stephen Cochrane told Beenleigh Magistrates Court on Thursday.

“It is the prosecution’s case that Mr Gee caused these injuries.

“The biological mother of the child, Mrs Willmott, the prosecution’s case is that she became aware of the injuries that occurred and then made the decision not to act on them.

“As a result, the child has succumbed to these injuries.”

Robert Alan Gee and Kristie Lee Willmott have been charged with the murder of a five-week-old boy. Credit: Facebook

Michael was found unresponsive after paramedics were called to a caravan park at Daisy Hill, south of Brisbane.

He had sustained significant internal injuries from “significant force” and was later pronounced dead at the hospital, police said.

“All I can say is that the medical examination of the child revealed significant internal injuries,” Detective Inspector Mark White told reporters.

“I don’t actually want to go into detail, it’s quite annoying.

“But it was absolutely clear, as at the end of the medical examination, what the cause of death was.”

Robert Alan Gee threw away the indictment during his arrest. Credit: Queensland Ambulance Service/Delivered

Gee and Willmott were charged following a 17-month investigation.

It is understood that they have been in a relationship, but it is not clear if they were together when Michael died.

Bodycam footage of his arrest shows Gee crumpled and threw away the police warrant when presented by officers.

The pair appeared briefly at Beenleigh Magistrates Court on Thursday, where they were ordered to a commitment hearing on March 1.

White said the investigation into the boy’s death had been a challenge for his colleagues “to listen, read this information and talk to people about it”.

Police appeal

He said the case had not been closed despite the murder charges and urged any witnesses or people who visited or lived at the caravan park around June 14 last year to contact police.

“Caravan parks have people coming and going … maybe as a resident, but also maybe visiting friends,” White said.

“If anyone may have been in and around there and we weren’t aware of it at the time, if they could come forward, or if anyone knows these two people and may have had conversations with them, we would be very interested to see what these conversations may have involved or worded.”

If you would like to view this content, please adjust your .

To find out more about how we use cookies, please see our Cookie guide.

About the author

Leave a Comment