Extra

Prince Charles received $ 3 million in cash stuffed in Sheikh’s bags and suitcases

Written by Javed Iqbal

Welcome to this week’s edition of Royalist, The Daily Beasts newsletter for all things royal and royal family. Subscribe here to get it in your inbox every Sunday.

Charles’ verdict under re-examination of bags of cash

Cartoon image of Prince Charles rubs his hands with joy as he throws shopping bags filled with banknotes into the back of his wind-powered Aston Martin like something out of the disrespectful British comedy Windsors is on the Royalist’s thoughts today.

The picture follows the astonishing revelation that the heir to the throne was personally handed a suitcase containing 1 million. EUR (just over $ 1.05 million) by a politician representing a rich oil-producing Arab state.

“It was one of three cash draws totaling 3 million euros ($ 3.2 million) that Prince Charles personally received from Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, the former Prime Minister of Qatar, who has been nicknamed ‘HBJ ‘between 2011 and 2015, “the London Sunday Times reports.

The story, described as “truly shocking” by a senior ethics official, will in many minds cement Charles’ reputation for economic undiscipline. While it may be a little too much to say that it jeopardizes his legacy, it certainly raises urgent and new questions about the successor to the throne when it comes to money matters.

Last last year, Charles lost his key ally Michael Fawcett, who was forced to withdraw from Charles’ fund after it was revealed that he was arranging an honor for a billionaire, Saudi donor, explicitly in return for donations. Charles denied any knowledge of the transaction arrangement, but a reported police investigation into the case has not provided an answer, being discreet to the point where he is invisible. Prince Harry sharply accused his father of being involved in what he described as a “scandal” over the affair.

In the recent self-inflicted disaster that hit Charles Sunday Times has revealed that Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani personally gave Charles bags of cash on three separate occasions between 2011 and 2015.

On each occasion, the HBJ is said to have given the prince 1 million euros in 500 euro banknotes – sometimes called ‘bin Ladens’ because of their use of terrorist-linked organized criminal gangs. Once, the money was stuffed into plastic shopping bags from the luxurious Chelsea grocery store and department store Fortnum & Mason, which has a royal charter from the prince. Another time the money was in a suitcase, and the third time it was in a bag.

Clarence House insisted that Times that it makes no difference that the money, which was deposited in an account with exclusive banks Coutts, happened to come in cash, and that “all the correct processes were followed.”

But a source described as “one of Charles’ former advisers who handled some of the cash,” he said Sunday Times that “everyone felt very uncomfortable with the situation,” adding that “the only thing we could do was count the money and make a mutual record of what we had done. And then call the bank.”

HBJ, a member of Qatar’s ruling al-Thani family, is a highly controversial figure with an estimated personal fortune of $ 12 billion, having served as Qatar’s prime minister between 2007 and 2013, cultivating close ties with Britain, which saw the country’s large sovereign wealth fund invests in Harrods and the iconic London skyscraper The Shard.

Charles was thought to have used his influence to get the Qataris to withdraw from the redevelopment of a high-profile place in Chelsea called the Chelsea Barracks. The Supreme Court said Charles’ involvement in the case was “unexpected and unwelcome.”

Sir Alistair Graham, former chairman of the Committee on Standards in Public Life, told Sunday Times the revelations were “really shocking”, saying: “I would not distinguish between a politician and a member of the royal family. If the Qatari government wants to give a gift to his fund, then there are right ways to do these things in instead of handling large sums of cash. “

Beatrice’s card was allegedly rejected by Glasto

At the other end of the economic scale, Princess Beatrice’s bank card was apparently rejected three times at a bar at the British music festival Glastonbury. A spy told Daily star: “She tried to pay by card, but it was rejected three times.”

Good news for her father, Prince Andrewhowever, on the money front. The mirror reports that author Ingrid Seward told True Royalty TV’s The Royal Beat: “They are not going to throw him out because he wants to be more troublesome and start talking and giving TV interviews and writing books. They will not. will be financially secure, but I would be very surprised if he kept the royal lodge. ”

Max Mumby / Indigo / Getty Images

Andrew smiles away

If Prince Andrew is worried about losing his Duke of York title – after 80% of the city said they wanted to end their relationship with him – he did not show it on Saturday. The Daily MaiI showed him rides a horse cheerfully around the Windsor Castle property.

As The Daily Beast reportedYork Central MP Rachael Maskell, has tabled “Removal of Titles Bill”, after opinion polls showed that 80 percent of its citizens want to be freed from their connection with the shameful royal, who has refused to stop using the title, which was given to him as a wedding gift in 1986.

Maskell told Daily mail: “Back in February, when we were focusing on the lawsuit that was brought against Andrew, my constituents replied that 80% of people wanted the connection with the current Duke of York to be broken. And that’s why I met with councilors here in Fælleden to see how it can be achieved. ”

She discovered that “there were no mechanisms in place, even for the monarch, to remove the title. The only real way this could be done is that Andrew no longer chooses to call himself the Duke of York.

She added: “Using a title like the Duke of York is an ambassadorial role, it bears the name of our city around the world.

“And it’s a city that’s a human rights city, the only human rights city in England. We’re already in a cultural clash when we talk about violence against women and girls and the problems we’re really working hard on in the city to do. York to a very safe place. ”

Subscribe here to get all the latest royal news and gossip with Tom Sykes and Tim Teeman.

Epstein victim: Andrew picture made me “shake” with horror

Annie Farmer, a victim of Jeffrey Epstein and Ghislaine Maxwell, tells the Sun. that the image of Andrew with Maxwell, his arm around Virginia Roberts Giuffre, makes her shake. Speaking ahead of Maxwell’s sentencing on Tuesday, Farmer said in a statement of consequences: “I remember sitting at my desk in a Houston hospital shaking physically after seeing the picture of Maxwell with Virginia Giuffre and Prince Andrew because it became clear to me how their scheme had continued. “

“I would never have met Epstein, if not for you,” writes Farmer, claiming that the abuse of Epstein and Maxwell’s hands took place when she was 16. “You opened the door to hell. And then, Ghislaine, like a wolf in sheep’s clothing, you used your femininity to betray us, and you led us all through it. ” The couple did “unthinkable things” against her, Farmer says.

Royals reconsider colonial heritage

A sign that the royals are at least trying to address the many horrors of Britain’s colonial past, comes with the news that Prince Charles wants slavery to be granted public recognition, in the same way as the annual Holocaust remembrance.

Charles expressed “personal grief” over British links to the slave trade during a visit to Rwanda last week, no doubt prompted to talk about the issue of protests over the legacy of slavery on William and Kate’s recent trip to the Caribbean, which was criticized in some quarters as “tone deaf”.

It told a senior royal source Sunday Times: “He is the patron of the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust, and he notes that in Britain we now know and learn in school everything about the Holocaust, so it is something that is recognized and taught nationally. It does not apply to the transatlantic slave trade. , and it might be something that should be.

“So, like Holocaust Memorial Day, is there a way to do it? To have a moment, to have a way to remember it?”

Queen Elizabeth II crowns her son Charles, Prince of Wales, during his inauguration ceremony at Caernarvon Castle.

Hulton Archive / Getty Images

This week in royal history

July 1 is one of the strangest dates in the royal calendar to mark the birth of Princess Diana that day in 1961, while Prince Charles became Prince of Wales on the same day eight years later in 1969 at an investment ceremony at Caernarvon Castle in North Wales. .

Unanswered questions

If someone showed up at your home with a million dollars in cash on three different occasions, you might not think you should call the authorities? This begs the question: Will the latest mystery-cash scandal just turn out to be embarrassing for Prince Charles, or could it get worse and end up threatening his actual legitimacy as a monarch?

Love The Daily Beasts generous coverage? Sign up here to have Royalist newsletters sent directly to your inbox.

About the author

Javed Iqbal

Leave a Comment