Oak Forest shooting today: 4 dead in fire, barricade situation on Ann Marie Lane; neighbors say shootings caught on video

Written by

OAK FOREST, Ill. (WLS) — Four people are dead in Oak Forest after neighbors said a man was seen shooting his family members outside his home before barricading himself inside and setting the house on fire.

The man’s neighbor’s Ring camera captured video of the incident Friday morning in the 5500 block of Ann Marie Lane in Oak Forest, where the man can be seen shooting three people. Neighbors said a person ran away from the scene.

The man can then be seen walking back into the home and barricading himself. Soon after, there was a massive fire.

The Cook County medical examiner confirmed they are responding to four deaths at the home.

Neighbors said they heard more than a dozen gunshots around 6:30 a.m

Oak Forest officials tweeted just after 7 a.m. that a person was trapped in the 5500 block of Ann Marie Lane.

They asked residents living in the area to shelter in place, but said there was no longer a threat to the community around 1 p.m.

Chopper7HD flew over the home just after 7:15 a.m. and a large fire had broken out.

RELATED: Naperville weather: House catches fire after lightning strike, officials say

The flames were visible through the roof and there was heavy smoke.

At around 7:25 a.m., the fire brigade tried to extinguish the fire.

Oak Forest police said they initially responded to a “domestic situation” in the area.

Neighbors said the family had lived in the home about eight years.

Another neighbor said the family had been acting strangely in recent weeks and said he heard a lot of arguing and screaming. He said police had previously been called to the home.

Emergency crews were at the scene throughout the morning and went inside to investigate once the fire was out.

Neighbors are truly devastated and in shock at what has happened.

“It’s a very tragic situation today; we don’t know who was hurt, if anyone was able to get out of the house,” Cheryl Wilson said.

“We’re just asking everyone to pray for the family,” Cody Wilson said.

Central Avenue is closed from 155th Street to Independence Avenue while police and fire officials continue to investigate.

Copyright © 2022 WLS-TV. All rights reserved.

About the author

Leave a Comment