A man has been charged with the murder of a mother and two children who died after a fire at their home in Nottingham.
Nottinghamshire Police said 31-year-old Jamie Barrow, of Clifton, Nottingham, had been charged with three counts of murder on Thursday.
Fatoumatta Hydara, 28, and her daughters, three-year-old Fatimah Drammeh and one-year-old Naeemah Drammeh, died of smoke inhalation after a fire at their home on Sunday. A joint fire and police investigation concluded that the fire was deliberately set.
Barrow has been remanded in custody and will appear at Nottingham Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Assistant Chief Constable Rob Griffin said: “Our thoughts remain with the family at this incredibly painful time, as well as the communities that have been affected by this most tragic incident. The grief this family has endured is beyond comprehension.
“Large teams of detectives have worked tirelessly with specialist search units and forensic experts to understand the full circumstances behind this deliberate fire.”
He added: “The family are aware of these developments and I would like to sincerely thank them for their patience and understanding as we do everything we possibly can to achieve justice for Fatoumatta, Fatimah and Naeemah.”
The family was taken to Queens Medical Center after the fire, where the two children were pronounced dead shortly after arrival. Their mother was placed on a life support machine before she died on Tuesday.
Hydara’s husband, Aboubacarr Drammeh, 40, the children’s father, was in the United States at the time of the fire. He flew back to Britain and visited the scene of the fire on Monday, where he told reporters he had not “come to terms with what has happened”.
He said: “I’m just grieving. I’ve just flown in from America. I’ve come straight here from the airport. I don’t know what’s happened here. I’m trying to understand what. It’s just so upsetting.”
The fire gutted a first-floor flat in a two-storey residential property in Clifton, a village on the outskirts of Nottingham, where the family is believed to have lived for around five years.
The rescue services were called early on Sunday and succeeded in extinguishing the fire at 04.00.
DCI Mark Sinski, who is leading the investigation, said this week that the family were being supported by specially trained officers. “This has been an extremely traumatic event for them and I want to assure them that we are doing everything we possibly can to bring them the justice they deserve,” he said.