Judge issues order allowing landlords to evict TUPC from St. Brigid’s

Written by

A Supreme Court judge has granted an application that the owners of St. Brigid’s in Ottawa’s Lowertown area is set to drop The United People of Canada (TUPC), a group with ties to the Freedom Convoy.

Justice Sally Gomery’s decision, released Friday, also orders the controversial group to pay $58,000 in costs to the property owners within 30 days.

Patrick McDonald, who owns the property near ByWard Market with three other partners, claims a deal for TUPC to buy the building collapsed because TUPC failed to make deposits totaling $100,000, according to court documents.

His affidavit states failure to make those payments, coupled with the $10,000 the group owes in rent and its lack of proof of $5 million in liability insurance, entitles the landlord to terminate the lease.

Notices were posted on the buildings in mid-August indicating the deal was terminated, but TUPC refused to vacate the property.

On Monday, the group’s lawyer argued it had an “oral agreement” with the owners rather than a written lease, while the landlords say the only agreement was a purchase and sale agreement signed by Komer.

That deal shows the site was to be sold for $5.95 million.

In his decision, Gomery wrote that the terms of the lease were set forth in the sales agreement and TUPC “materially breached the agreement” when it failed to pay the $100,000 “despite two extensions of time.”

The judge also stated that the termination was valid and TUPC is not entitled to any relief from the consequences because it still has not paid what it was due under the agreement and “has not come to court with clean hands.”

Gordon Douglas, attorney for the landlords, said he has submitted a draft order to the court to be signed by Gomery. A court sheriff will ultimately decide when to enforce the possession subpoenas, according to the lawyer.

The judge’s decision follows months of tension between Lowertown residents and the group. TUPC repeatedly called the police to the scene, and supporters, including Komer, had sprayed people with water guns.

Officers were called to the area so often that police promised an increased presence around the property until the situation is resolved.

About the author

Leave a Comment