Iveta Mitchell’s inquest questions police investigative reports about two men at Perth woman’s home on night she disappeared

Written by

A WA detective has told the Coroner’s Court that police were investigating a report that two men were at Iveta Mitchell’s home on the night she was last seen alive.

Detective Constable Gregory McDonald was the last witness at the inquest into the 37-year-old’s disappearance in 2010.

Her husband Chad Mitchell said he last saw her near their home in Parmelia, in the early hours of May 3, 2010, after an argument.

Sgt McDonald told the court someone contacted police to say they had spoken to a man who claimed he and another man were at Ms Mitchell’s home on the night of May 2.

A missing person poster on a rear car window
A missing persons poster seen on a car window in the weeks following Iveta Mitchell’s disappearance.(ABC News)

The detective said one of the identified men was interviewed and denied having anything to do with Mitchell’s disappearance, and even refused to have a conversation about it.

He said “no connections whatsoever” were found between the two men and the Mitchell family, and both were later eliminated as suspects.

The detective described the investigation into Iveta Mitchell’s disappearance as “thorough”, with every reasonable possibility investigated.

Gone without a trace

Constable McDonald said police believed Ms Mitchell died around May 2 or 3.

“It’s unfortunate that we don’t have any answers,” Police Chief McDonald said.

A composite photo of a woman wearing a pink shirt with a blue background
An image circulated by police in 2010 of missing woman Iveta Mitchell.(Provided by: WA Police)

The court also heard from Detective Constable Justin Meeres, who said banks and other financial institutions found no evidence Ms Mitchell had accessed any of their services since 2010.

There was no evidence of involvement with public authorities and police databases had been checked.

There was no evidence that Mrs Mitchell, who was born in Czechoslovakia, traveled abroad.

Misplay ‘probable’

Deputy Coroner Sarah Linton said she was convinced Iveta Mitchell was dead.

“Foul play is certainly a likely possibility,” she told the court, though she had yet to conclude that.

Outside court, Iveta’s daughter Alana Iveta Kilsby said it was an outcome she had expected.

Iveta Mitchell's daughter Alana Kilsby speaks outside court
Iveta Mitchell’s daughter Alana Kilsby feels the inquest is not the end of the process. (ABC News: David Weber)

“She’s not the type of woman who wants to go away, especially not for so long,” she said.

“But I also feel like this is the start of a very slow snowball.”

“(I) definitely don’t feel like this is the end.”

Ms Kilsby had told the court how she had had a bad relationship with Iveta’s husband Chad, who had on one occasion punched her in the face.

“I finally got to say what I needed to say, and no home is perfect,” she said.

Forensic police gather around a cream brick home
Forensic police are searching Ms Mitchell’s home in Perth’s southern suburbs.

“But I’m glad I said what I said and I meant every word of it and to all those out there who have problems at home, just talk.

“If it’s your teachers at school, if it’s your friends, if it’s your friend’s parents, even a youth worker – talk, it can save a lot.”

Children in the ‘waiting game’

Mitchell’s eldest son, Peter Read, said it was now a “waiting game”.

Sir. Read said that while there were a few things that came up during the investigation, he considered them “insignificant.”

Iveta Mitchell's eldest son Peter Reid
Peter Read was just 20 when his mother disappeared.(ABC News: David Weber)

He believed that the investigation should continue.

“Until there’s a body, you must,” he said. “It’s not like there isn’t a body that’s somewhere.

“Until that’s found, you don’t get closure, you don’t get the chance to go to bed at night without that thought.”

Just a warning to the perpetrator

Mr. Read had a message for anyone who knew anything about what happened to his mother.

“Your day will come,” he said.

“It’s been 12 years and no one has said a word, if anyone out there knows anything, the longer time goes by, the more hate there is, the more anger there is.

“An emotional roller coaster coming straight at you from multiple people.”

A photo of a woman smiling at a campsite
A photo of Iveta Mitchell was circulated to the media by police in the days following her disappearance.(Provided by: WA Police)

Iveta’s son with Chad Mitchell, Kyle, said he was satisfied with the way the investigation had gone.

“There is a lot of evidence that she can flip through,” he said.

“After 12 years, in my mind, what’s another six months to actually find out what her sentence is going to be?”

He said that while he kept an open mind about what may have happened to his mother, he still loved his father.

About the author

Leave a Comment