Extra

Discovery + Behind Mystery Donald Trump Docusseries – Deadline

Written by Javed Iqbal

EXCLUSIVE: Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS), Chairman of January 6 committeesaid Wednesday that the consultation plan will continue into July.

One reason: Recently obtained evidence, including footage from British filmmakers Alex Holder, who is scheduled to speak to the committee on Thursday. Per Politico, Thompson called the footage he had seen “important” but declined to elaborate.

Deadline may reveal that the three-part series – Unseen so far Is purchased by Discovery+. We understand that former BBC director Greg Sanderson, who was previously an exec producer of the British public broadcaster’s documentary string Storyville, had worked with Holder on the project.

Holder said in a statement this week that the footage is of the last six weeks of President Trump’s re-election campaign, as well as never-before-seen footage of the January 6 attack on the US Capitol. The series features interviews with Trump, his daughter Ivanka, sons Eric and Don Jr. and son-in-law Jared Kushner and Vice President Mike Pence. Holder said he and his team are “fully cooperating” with the lawsuit.

UPDATE: Warner Bros. Discovery confirmed the story, and a spokeswoman said: “Alex Holders Unseen so far three-part documentary series on the 2020 election will be released on Discovery + later this summer. With unprecedented footage of the Trump family on the campaign trail and their reactions to the outcome of the election, the documentaries will offer intimate and unprecedented interviews with Trump, his family and others who were in the White House. “

hitherto unseen

It had previously been unclear which streaming service had purchased the rights to it.

However, what is certainly a bit of a puzzle is just what is in the documentary and how Holder gained access to Trump and his inner circle.

Some members of the Trump campaign were in the dark that the project even existed and seemed surprised when its existence emerged. But it’s the kind of new twists that potentially give the committee more weight when they speak their case against Trump, as their hearings so far have had some of their biggest impact with the release of audio and video clips.

Some are known: The New York Times reported on Tuesday that Ivanka Trump in an interview seems to support her father’s hunt for false allegations of electoral fraud, saying, “he has to take this fight.” The Times also reported that the filmmaker gained access to the Trump family through Jason Greenblatt, who was then the White House’s envoy to the Middle East. CBS News’ Robert Costa reported that Holder has 11 hours of footage of interviews with the Trump family from September 2020 to January 2021. At CBS Evening News on Wednesday, Costa also presented photos of Holder interviewing Trump and Ivanka Trump.

Holder suggested that one of the reasons why so little attention was paid to the project was that due to the sale of the footage, he “did not previously have the legal authority to release the material or publicly discuss the project.”

Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD), a member of the committee, said he became aware of the footage when “a person familiar with the information contacted me, wrote a letter to me, and that was at least the way it was. I got on the track. There may have been other contacts as well. ” He declined to say whether it was the filmmaker who contacted him.

Holder is perhaps best known as the producer of the documentary Keep Quiet, about the leader of Hungary’s right-wing extremist Conservative party, who, after expressing anti-Semitic beliefs, discovers that he is of Jewish heritage. The film had its world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2016.

His lawyer did not respond to a comment on the decision to cooperate with the committee’s subpoena. While there have previously been legal clashes over documentary filmmakers who have passed on outtakes and other footage to courts and other government bodies, the committee on January 6 has secured not only Holder’s cooperation but also Nick Quested’s cooperation, which testified at the first hearing on his project about right-wing extremist group The Proud Boys.

In December, the Reporters’ Committee on Freedom of the Press and 55 media organizations joined urged January 6 the committee to drop a subpoena of telephone records from a freelance photojournalist, arguing that such records were protected by the First Amendment.

But Katie Townsend, legal director at the Reporters Committee, said it’s a different situation with these documentary filmmakers because they chose to comply.

“It could be that they made a decision that it was a smart thing to do, or took an ethical consideration to adhere to,” she said, while also noting that the footage has to do with a “unique event in American history.”

She also said their collaboration should not set a precedent for future cases.

“Not only does it not set a precedent for other filmmakers, but I do not think it necessarily sets a precedent for these individual filmmakers,” she said.

About the author

Javed Iqbal

Leave a Comment