Dad who killed burglar after seeing break-in via Ring doorbell jailed for 19 years

Written by Javed Iqbal

A man who stabbed a burglar to death after watching him break into his home on Ring doorbell footage has been jailed for 19 years.

A jury acquitted Karl Townsend, 32, of murder Jordan Brophy, 31, outside his home in Halewood, Merseysideon October 29 last year, but found him guilty of manslaughter.

The court heard that Mr Brophy and three others had attacked Townsend’s home while he, his partner and child were out, intending to carry out a “smash and grab” burglary to steal a quantity of controlled drugs.

The burglars arrived at the Beechwood Avenue property in a convoy of vehicles and had a getaway driver outside, jurors were told.

Their arrival was captured by cameras through a Ring doorbell app, and Townsend returned to his home with a large kitchen knife, along with his younger half-brother Jamie Cunningham, who also carried a knife.

Townsend repeatedly stabbed Mr Brophy in the head, face and arms inside the property before stabbing him again in the neck on the road outside, the court heard.

Brophy, who was fatally stabbed when he broke into Townsend’s home


The 32-year-old was jailed for 19 years at Liverpool Crown Court on Friday.

Sobs could be heard from the public gallery as Judge Andrew Menary QC described injuries to Mr Brophy.

“On any level, the unlawful violence you used was truly shocking,” he said.

“Jordan Brophy was no angel, he had a number of previous convictions and was under investigation for other matters at the time.

“Whatever he did that night, he clearly didn’t deserve to die the way he did.”

In a statement she read to the court, Mr Brophy’s mother Lisa Ward said: “Jordan was by no means perfect and innocent, but no one ever, ever, has the right to take him away from me.”

She said Mr Brophy had taken the “wrong path in life” after losing a job Jaguar Land Roverwhere he had worked with her, and had mental problems.

She said that after waiting more than two years for a mental health referral, he had an appointment with a psychiatrist on November 4 but died before he was able to attend.

Anesta Weekes QC, defending, said the incident began with the “unlawful trespassing” of Townsend’s home by three men.

She said: “His case was that he wanted them gone. What he never anticipated was carrying his own knife to use against someone else so those in the house can carry weapons.

Members of Mr Brophy’s family gasped as Ms Weekes said there may not have been any defensive injuries on Mr Townsend because he was “better at defending himself”. But Judge Menary said he found Brophy was not armed with a weapon when he was attacked by Townsend.

He said: “He didn’t expect a confrontation.”

About 10 members of Mr Brophy’s family sat in the stands at the hearing and cheered when the sentence was announced.

Townsend shrugged at members of his own family as he left the dock.

He was given a concurrent sentence of two years for possession of a bladed object.

Cunningham, 23, of Penmann Crescent, Halewood, who was acquitted of murder and manslaughter at a previous trial, was given a two-year supervised community order with 10 days of rehabilitation activity after pleading guilty to possessing a bladed object halfway through. through a new trial.

About the author

Javed Iqbal

Leave a Comment