Arrest warrant issued for femicide in Shanquella Robinson Mexico death case

Written by

An arrest warrant has been issued in connection with the death of a North Carolina woman who died while vacationing in Mexico with friends, according to a report.

Late Thursday, the prosecutor’s office issued a statement confirming that it was “one of the friends” who delivered the fatal blow.

Shanquella Robinson, 25, traveled to Cabo with six others on October 28 and was dead the following day. Her loved ones are demanding answers after her friends, her death certificate and a local police report all gave conflicting accounts of how Robinson died.

Daniel de la Rosa Anaya, a local prosecutor for the state of Baja California Sur, said ABC News Wednesday that a femicide warrant had been issued, but did not name the suspect. “We are carrying out all the relevant procedures such as the Interpol alert and the request for extradition to the United States,” he said. “It’s about two Americans, the victim and the perpetrator.”

The death, de la Rosa said, was not the result of an “argument” but “a direct aggression that this person did.”

Outrage over Robinson’s death has been steadily mounting as new developments have gradually emerged.

Initially, Robinson’s parents say they were told by their daughter’s friends that she had died of alcohol poisoning. But an autopsy report from the Mexican Secretariat of Health determined that Robinson’s cause of death had been “severe spinal cord injury and atlas dislocation,” the latter issue referring to the displacement of a bone that supports the skull.

The report also suggested that the time between Robinson’s injury and her death was 15 minutes.

Last week, a video began circulating online showing Robinson being violently attacked by another woman. Out of shot, someone can be heard saying, “Quella, can you at least fight back? At least something?” Robinson’s father, Bernard, confirmed to The Daily Beast that it was Shanquella who was knocked to the floor in the clip.

Subsequent coverage of a local police report also added to the mystery by including details that differed from those in the autopsy. The law enforcement document said Robinson’s friends called for medical help around 10 p.m. 14.13 the day she died. A general practitioner from the American Medical Center was sent and found Robinson alive. She was said to be dehydrated and gave a poor verbal response to medical staff. Her friends reportedly said Robinson had been drinking heavily but insisted she not be taken to hospital.

It wasn’t until Robinson began seizing at 4:20 p.m. that one of her friends called emergency services. Within half an hour the GP stopped being able to feel her pulse and started CPR until paramedics arrived. Doctors fought to save Robinson, but she went into cardiac arrest and was pronounced dead at 5:57 p.m., according to the report.

That FBI opened its own investigation into Robinson’s death earlier this month in addition to Mexican authorities’ femicide investigation.

When informed of the warrant, Robinson’s mother, Sallamondra, said Wednesday, “I feel so good, it’s a great feeling. This is what we’ve been waiting for, for someone to finally be held accountable and arrested. I just can’t wait on justice being served.”

About the author

Leave a Comment