Extra

Archie Battersbee’s mother says she has done everything she can as a son to be taken off life support

Written by Javed Iqbal

The mother of Archie Battersbee has said she has done everything she promised her son she would do as the family prepare for his life support to be withdrawn on Saturday morning.

Archie will be taken off life support Saturday morning, his family said Friday after losing a last-ditch effort to move the 12-year-old to a hospice.

A spokesman for the family said the hospital had informed them it would withdraw life support at 10am on Saturday.

However, Barts Health NHS Trust said its position remains the same in that no changes will be made to Archie’s care “until the outstanding legal issues are resolved”.

In an interview with Sky News, recorded on Friday, Archie’s mother Hollie Dancefrom Southend, Essex, said she is “pretty devastated” and that the day had been “absolutely awful”.

She broke down and said, “For the last many weeks since April 7th, I don’t think there’s been a day that hasn’t been horrible.”

Ms Dance added: “It’s been really hard. Despite the tough strong face and appearance, obviously in front of the cameras so far, I’ve been pretty devastated.”

Well-wishers gather outside the hospital

Outside the Royal London Hospital, where the 12-year-old has been on life support for more than 100 days – they laid flowers and lit candles.

Kerry Walton, a hairdresser from Archie’s home town of Southend, laid a bouquet at the feet of the statue of Queen Alexandra, one of the hospital’s most famous benefactors.

“I have two children, aged seven and two, and I just can’t imagine how Archie’s parents must be feeling,” said Mrs Walton, 36. “As a mum I can appreciate what Archie’s mum was trying to do – get more time for his son. If it were me, I’d try to come home from anywhere—even just a glimpse of it.”

About the author

Javed Iqbal

Leave a Comment